Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Chapter 3

Rewjeo returned to the elite barracks at the same brisk pace, but he had lost the rest of his guise. His mind had trailed back to his thoughts at the end of his talk with the soldier. Once at the barracks, he realized that he should probably have gotten lost once or twice for good measure, but oh, well. He proceeded without pause to enter the room he had been assigned and shut the door behind him. He walked over to the bed, slumped into it, and let out a massive sigh. He had just shut his eyes when his door opened again. Rewjeo shot up with a jolt, only to see that it was the Pikeman, dutifully carrying Rewjeo’s things. Rewjeo sighed again, a different, smaller sigh, and said, “Just put those on the table. I’ll be staying in here for a while, so you can tend to whatever business you may have.”
“You are my business, sir,” the Pikeman replied.
“Well then take the afternoon off,” Rewjeo said grumpily.
The Pikeman placed the parchment on the table and then sat in dutifully in the chair. “I’ll stay here, sir.”
“I would really rather you not do that.”
“Orders, sir.”
Rewjeo stood up and put his Kygao disguise back on. “You are here to serve me, correct, sirrah?”
“Yes, sir. But simply leaving you does not count as service, sir.”
Rewjeo rolled his eyes and then said. “Well, then, I have work for you. Sirrah, my clothes are worn and dirty, yet here we are in a castle full of displaced nobility. Fetch some more appropriate apparel. And perhaps a washcloth. I am given to understand that I could use some cleaning up.”
“As you wish, sir,” the soldier said with a bow before leaving the room. “I trust you will be here when I return.”
“Yes, yes, I will,” Rewjeo said irately as he lay back in the bed. “And close the door, sirrah!” he called out after the Pikeman.
There was a click as the door latched. Then Rewjeo counted slowly in the silence until he was sure there was no one around to hear him. His breathing became sharp and labored. He tried to keep it quiet. He didn’t want anyone to hear and decide to come and check on him. But those comments about the body not even being left behind were the first things Rewjeo had heard to really, really drive home that things in Gassad had changed. Of course intellectually he knew that people were dead, that his home had been hijacked by a foreign military, but that was a whole lot easier than accepting that there might be friends who would never welcome him home. The Guldaran troops could always leave. He could take his home back. But what the soldier had talked about was something that couldn’t change back.
Not that it really mattered, of course. It wasn’t physically possible for the General to have just erased Jyron from the planet, and it made no sense for him to just sweep the body under a rug, either. There was something more going on there. That arrogant bigot just assumed he had it all figured out. He clearly didn’t think much of Jyron, anyways. It made everything in his warped sense of reality even better if there were only Royals left around. Yes, that made more sense than that man’s explanation. That man was the real dipshit here.
Rewjeo chuckled at that last thought. He could be perfectly juvenile sometimes. Anyways, he thought as he rubbed his eyes dry, I really can’t make a habit of this. I can’t risk someone finding me. He got up and went about packing his stuff into the wooden dresser in the room. It would be a waste if the Pikeman managed to deliver on the clothing, but work was work.
~~~~~
A heavy, slow knock at the door dredged Rewjeo up from the depth of his thoughts. “Come in!” he called as he turned his chair to face his guest.
“Please open the door, sir,” came the monotonous reply.
Rewjeo obliged with a sigh. “All right, sirrah.” He opened the door to find the Pikeman carrying a massive pile of clothes. “Well aren’t you thorough?” he commented to himself as the Pikeman entered.
“Where would you like these, sir?”
“On top of the dresser for now. Folded, please, sirrah. Where did you find those?” Rewjeo said, jumping fully into the character that was Kygao.
“A number of places, sir. I apologize for the long wait as I gathered them up and any time of yours I may have wasted,” the Pikeman said as he dutifully folded up the clothing and placed it on top of the dresser.
“Oh, it is no issue, sirrah,” Rewjeo reassured. In reality, after finishing organizing the room, he had set his mind to fleshing out Kygao. Kygao had a history now. A handful of funny stories to share, a place he had been going, a family. “I made myself quite busy settling in,” he said.
“I am glad to hear it, sir. I hope the collection is adequate.”
“Oh, I imagine it is,” Rewjeo said scientifically. “You are quite helpful to have around, aren’t you?” There was no reply. Rewjeo sighed. “It’s midafternoon, is it not?”
“Yes, sir.”
“Do you know what the general plans are for the rest of the day?”
“No, sir.”
Pause.
When nothing else came, Rewjeo continued. “Too much uncertainty still, I take it?”
“Yes, sir.”
Pause.
“Well, do you know if all the soldiers still have things to do? I would like to speak to some more of them if possible, sirrah.”
“I do not, sir.”
Pause.
“Well, then, sirrah, unless you have any objections, we’re heading back down. I’ll check it out myself.”
“Yes, sir.”
“If you’ll just hand me the washcloth I had you fetch, sirrah…” The Pikeman grabbed a plain cloth from the pile of clothes and handed it to Rewjeo. It was dry to the touch. Rewjeo kept his arm out for a moment and considered saying something about the fact that it would work an awful lot better wet, sirrah, but he decided against it. He gave his face a good wipe and then handed the cloth, which admittedly did get some dirt off, back with a “Thanks.”
“My supplies are on the table there, sirrah,” Rewjeo said as he stood. “If you don’t mind grabbing those, we’ll be off.”
“Yes, sir.”
Rewjeo opened the door and started off briskly into the main area of the elite barracks, the Pikeman trotting behind, still not entirely sure of how best to carry the pen and parchment. This time around, the space had a number of soldiers in the standard Guldaran blue hanging about and it seemed devoid of the White Pikemen who had been in there previously. Amongst the blue clad soldiers Rewjeo spotted Colonel Slize.
“Colonel!” Rewjeo called out to him as he approached.
Slize turned from the man he was addressing. “Ah, Kygao! I hope you’ve settled in nicely, kid.” He gave Rewjeo a clap on the shoulder.
“I have, Colonel. Can the same be said of your troops? I would like to talk to some more soldiers before the day is up.”
“Well, they’re all moved in now, but I’d let ‘em be for tonight, kid. They’ve been working since we started marching a full twenty-four hours ago. Add on to that that you’re a scholar being trailed by one of the White Pike, and, well, they may not take too kindly to you. Same with most of the guys you see in here,” Slize said. Rewjeo’s guard stood by, apparently unfazed.
Rewjeo looked crestfallen. “All right. Anywhere else I might go, Colonel?”
Slize paused for a moment. “Well, you could check out the infirmary. I can’t promise you anything, but those guys might’ve already gotten to rest some. Just… stay away from anyone who looks like they’re dying. That might be a little much for you, kid.”
“All right,” Rewjeo said a little questioningly. “Thank you, Colonel. Oh, and who are ‘the guys in here?’ Last time I came through, it was just the White Pike in here.”
“This would be pretty much everyone staying up here other than the White Pike. Good news for you, eh, kid? Won’t have to go too far for, ehem, more interesting discourse.” Again, the Pikeman seemed oblivious to Slize’s quip.
“Well, thank you, again, Colonel,” Rewjeo said, separating himself before Slize could suck him deeper into conversation. “I’d like to go now and see what I can get before dinner comes.”
“Oh, of course. See ya later, kid!”
~~~~~
“My, he’s a chatty fellow, isn’t he, sirrah?” Rewjeo said to the Pikeman. He didn’t bother waiting for a response this time around and simply carried on himself. “Friendly, at the very least. Although I’m sure I’ll come to appreciate such amicability if I am forced to spend too much more time with certain individuals I’ve met along the way. Oh, no matter,” Rewjeo said, dismissing the thoughts with a flick of his wrist, “just show the way, please, sirrah.”
“Yes, sir,” the Pikeman said dully before dutifully marching towards the infirmary.
“I mean, really, that fellow I talked to earlier was just mean,” Rewjeo went on as he followed his guide. “Not to mention that captain out in the woods. I can tell you now he’s not going anywhere fast if he can’t keep a hold of himself. The good news is that I’ve got fellows like yourself and Slize that I can have a real decent conversation with. Hmm, I suppose you’re both high ranking guys, aren’t you? And those other two weren’t, were they? I mean, that guy I spoke to down in the barracks earlier, not the Colonel, he was just your typical soldier, wasn’t he?”
“Yes, sir.”
“Well, then I suppose this is the sort of operation that rewards the right people. I mean, I’m sure you’re all wonderfully talented at what you do, but more than that you’re just good people. I suppose that’s probably just coincidence, though, now that I think about it. I mean, an organization like this setting out on a mission like this probably views talent as a be-all-end-all kind of thing, huh? Well, that’s no reason to dash my hopes yet. After all, I may find myself staying with only the most tolerable of folks up in the elite barracks. Hmm, that first fellow was a captain wasn’t he? Will the captains be staying up in the elite barracks?”
“Yes, sir.”
“Well, that’s unfortunate. Still, that’s no reason to really worry yet. I mean, I’ll probably hardly see him. He could be on the other side of the barracks, and the barracks are plenty big. And if I have to deal with him, well, I’ll just deal with him then. It doesn’t do any good to bother now, does it?”
“Sir.”
“I’m sorry, I didn’t catch the first bit. Was that a yes or a no, sir, sirrah?”
“No-”
“Well I’m glad that you agree with me, then, sirrah. My, aren’t you unusually chatty this afternoon? You didn’t seem like the kind of person to jump in quite like that this morning,” Rewjeo said with a smile.
“No, sir, that’s not what I was saying.”
“Well, then what were you saying, sirrah? Spit it out!”
“We’re here.”
“What, we’re- Oh, why yes we are! I didn’t even notice that we had stopped. I must have gotten carried away thinking aloud like that. Well, thank you, sirrah.”
~~~~~
Guldar had set up in Gassad’s own infirmary, but it was generally undersupplied and in disrepair from disuse in the past years. The Guldaran medics were certainly making do, but the room felt hollow and dusty to Rewjeo. There wasn’t much going on, either. After Rewjeo introduced himself, the two medics on hand had gone back to whatever discussion they’d been having earlier, generally ignoring the probably two score soldiers resting in there. Most of the invalids were there just to keep them from doing something stupid while their wounds healed, but a few were more seriously injured.
Rewjeo was walking to the bed of a soldier who could have gone either way. His midriff was bandaged with a big bloody spot by his ribs. Rewjeo knew that the soldier’s fate all depended on just what had been hit. But the medics had pointed him this way themselves, so he assumed it wasn’t too bad. Standing on the other side of the bed from Rewjeo was another soldier, a friend of the invalid. Based on their faces, you’d think the friend was the one who had been injured. He stood by watchfully and morose while his wounded comrade lay there with a jovial grin plastered across his face. As Rewjeo walked over, it was quite clear that the injured one was trying to make light of the situation, probably to make his friend feel better.
What also struck Rewjeo was how young the two looked. It wasn’t the same way Slize looked young. They looked like they were kids still. Rewjeo was sure Slize called them “kid,” too, or at least would if he ever had reason to address them.
“Excuse me,” Rewjeo said softly, struck by the concern on the friend’s face. “My name is Kygao. I’m keeping a record of what is happening here. Writing a history, really. If you have a moment, I’d like to speak to you.”
“Oh, sure!” the invalid said loudly. He started pushing himself up to rest on his elbows when a sharp grimace shot across his face. “Ow, ow!” he said between sharp breaths.
“You’re supposed to stay lying down!” his friend whispered reproachfully as he helped the wounded one lay his shoulders back down again. “And keep your voice down! Some people in here are actually doing as they’ve been told and are trying to rest.”
“Oh, don’t mind him,” the wounded soldier said. It wasn’t a whisper, but it was quieter. “He worries too much.”
“And he doesn’t worry enough,” his friend retorted.
“You wouldn’t worry, either,” the invalid said, “if you had someone else to do it for you, now would you?”
“I don’t think I could help it,” Rewjeo said placidly. “You’re sure you’re up to talking to me?”
“Yeah. I’m sure my friend here won’t let me get too worked up. So what do you want to-”
The friend cut in. “What’s that guy doing here?” he asked, looking towards the Pikeman.
“Don’t mind him,” Rewjeo said. “The General doesn’t quite trust me so he’s got this guy following me around. He’s just here to make sure I don’t do anything dangerous.”
The friend sighed acquiescence and the invalid finished his question. “What do you want to ask me about?”
“Well, so far there’s not a whole lot. Right now I’m just trying to get a general sense of what’s going on here. I’d like to know what’s gone on, how you guys feel about the whole situation-“
“Haha, I think you can imagine how I feel about it right now! It hurts,” the invalid butt in amiably.
Rewjeo continued, “-and maybe about why everyone’s so suspicious of the White Pike while I’m at it.”
“You know,” the friend said to his wounded companion, “you should get some rest. I’ll talk to him for now and you can sleep. Maybe later you can speak to him some.”
“I’m fine,” the invalid insisted.
“No, I’m fine. You have a hole in your stomach and you can’t even sit up.”
“All right. Go have all the fun yourself,” the wounded one said with exaggerated disappointment. “I’ll just lay here with nothing but my agony to keep me company. I’ll try to keep my moaning quiet!”
“Good,” the friend said. “It wouldn’t do to have you keeping the others up.” He turned to Rewjeo. “It would probably be best if we stepped outside for now.”
Rewjeo nodded and then followed the friend out the infirmary door.
“Sorry about that,” the friend said with a sigh once the door latched behind them. “He’s not as strong as he’d like you to think he is.”
“Is he going to be alright?” Rewjeo asked.
“Yeah, they think so,” the friend said. “As long as it heals up okay. His armor mostly stopped the arrow. It’ll just keep him from moving much for a while. Anyways, I brought you out here ‘cause I don’t think he could really handle remembering the fight right now. Like I said, he likes to look tougher than he is.”
“Was he shot last night?” Rewjeo asked.
“No, this morning,” the soldier said. He paused and glanced over at the Pikeman. “I’m free to tell you anything, right?”
“Yeah,” Rewjeo said. “I’m here to observe and write down. Nothing you say here will affect you at all.”
“The battle last night wasn’t a complete victory. I mean, we won, hands down, but some soldiers are holding out in the cellars.”
“Really?” Rewjeo asked intensely. “How many?”
“That’s a good question,” the soldier said. “We were told maybe six, going in.”
“Going in?”
“Yup, we were sent down to flush them out. It was supposed to be easy enough. Once we got the door out of the way, they’d know they didn’t have a shot and give up. That was the plan.”
“But that’s not what happened?”
“Nope. They barricaded themselves in there like nothing any of us had even heard of. There was stuff strewn everywhere and who-knows-what all over the floor. Once we got in – which took about four times longer than we expected – we found ourselves face to face with an obstacle course. Long story short, there were more than six of them in there. My friend in there and few others got wounded pretty bad, and we lost four guys.”
“Whoa…” Rewjeo said, processing the information. “So they’re still down there?”
“Yeah.”
“How are you doing?” Rewjeo thought he ought to at least feign interest in the wellbeing of the soldier in front of him.
“Oh, I’m fine. I picked up a few bruises along the way, but nothing like that,” he said, nodding his head towards the infirmary.
“I’ve got another question for you,” Rewjeo said, putting himself back to the task at hand. “You’re better spoken than some of the other guys I’ve run into here.”
“Yeah,” the soldier said somewhat bashfully as he slid his hands into his pockets. “I guess I’m one of those guys ‘with a future in the military,’ if you know what I mean. Everyone starts at the bottom, but coming from my family I’m expected to end up a colonel or something someday.”
“And the others are just guys who thought they liked the thought of being a soldier and joined up?”
“Oh, don’t put it like that. There’s been a big push for the army back in Guldar for a while now. They all joined up because of that. I’m just the guy who was going to get dumped into it anyways to keep up the family tradition.”
Rewjeo paused a moment to think about that - the family tradition. Gassad had the same thing, of course. The military families. His studies told him that those families would have their own castles and estates in a bigger kingdom. In Teldur, they stuck mostly to heading the armies, and a handful kept tabs on the various small towns of Gassad. But he hadn’t quite thought that Guldar’s would ever churn out someone like the boy in front of him.
“You don’t sound too happy about that,” Rewjeo said, finally.
“Well it wasn’t ever about making me happy,” the soldier replied bitterly.
Rewjeo opened his mouth to say something, then shook his head. “Never mind, it really isn’t my place to be talking about your personal life. We should get back to the issue at hand.”
“All right,” the soldier said. “Sure.”
“I’m trying to get an understanding of just what emotions are driving this conflict,” Rewjeo explained. “How do you, as an individual, feel about it? Are you just following orders? Do you feel like you’re working to unite the old Teldur kingdom?”
“Emotions?” the soldier asked with quizzical look on his face. “That’s an interesting way to go about documenting history.”
“The old Teldur kingdom hasn’t existed de facto for a long time. I’m interested in whether or not it seems to still exist de jure,” Rewjeo explained matter-of-factly.
“Well, mostly right now I’m thinking that I’d rather be at home than out here,” the soldier answered, satisfied with Rewjeo’s explanation.
“Homesick? It hasn’t been that long, has it?”
“Nah. I just like peace and quiet and consistency.”
Rewjeo cocked his head to one side. “You know,” he said, “you remind me an awful lot of someone I used to know…”
“Is that a good thing or a bad thing?” the soldier asked uncertainly.
“Oh, neither. After all, it’s not my job to get involved with anything here.”
“All right, then. Is that all?” the soldier asked a touch anxiously.
“Oh, yeah, that’s plenty for now. You can get back to hovering over your friend again,” Rewjeo said a little bit mockingly. “Oh, if you don’t mind, though, I’d like a name or a rank at least. You can only have so many anonymous sources.”
“My name’s Olicem. I’m just your run-of-the-mill soldier. It was nice to meet you, Kygao,” he said, preparing to take his leave.
“Likewise,” Rewjeo said before the two of them walked back into the infirmary.
“Hey, Oli! Kaogy! Er, no, that’s not right…” the injured soldier called out before getting hushed harshly by the medics.
Rewjeo’s cheeks flushed with embarrassment as he walked over. Cow-guy? Really? “Kygao,” he corrected the soldier softly once he was back by the bed.
“Yeah, that sounds better,” the injured boy said in response. “So did Oli finally agree to let me do something?”
Rewjeo and Olicem made brief eye contact. Rewjeo said, “No, I just wanted to correct you quietly. Your friend is right. You should rest for now. Find me when you can walk again.”
The soldier sighed. “Geez, Oli, you got him over to your side pretty damn quick, huh?”
Rewjeo smiled faintly. “I’m gonna go find someone who’s doing a little better to talk to now. How about you come find me when you can get yourself to me and then we’ll talk.”
“Man, the medics said I was gonna be fine!” he protested.
Olicem opened his mouth to say something, but Rewjeo hushed him. “I’m off now. Find me when you can.”
~~~~~
Rewjeo returned to the elite barracks a little more than an hour later. He hadn’t gotten much new information out of the infirmary, other than that some sort of new weapon had been used that no one seemed to understand, but he did have a better picture of the battle and a general consensus on the Guldaran opinion of the occupation.
The common area was emptier than it had been when Rewjeo left, but Slize was still standing out there. Apparently he had been waiting for Rewjeo. Almost as soon as Rewjeo found his way back in there, he called out, “Hey, Kygao!”
“Yes, Colonel?” Rewjeo said, a little disappointed. Slize was big on talking, and Rewjeo was a little talked out right then.
Slize walked up to Rewjeo, put his hands on Rewjeo’s shoulders, and paused for a moment. “Hm, I’d hoped they’d clean you up a little down at the infirmary.”
“They didn’t seem too intent and doing much of anything that they didn’t need to.”
“Well, that’s okay,” Slize said. “Your timing’s perfect, anyways. They just got the bath set up for the colonels. If you’ll follow me, we can get you cleaned up before dinner, kid.”
“Thank you,” Rewjeo said, “but I really don’t think I should really be taking first priority here, Colonel.”
“Really, it’s fine, kid,” Slize said. Then he turned to the Pikeman. “Put Kygao’s supplies back in his room and grab him some clothes for the evening.”
“Yes, sir,” the Pikeman said.
“Don’t bother with the clothes, sirrah,” Rewjeo said quickly before turning back to Slize. “I only just put these on before heading to the infirmary, Colonel.”
“All right, kid,” Slize said. “Pikeman, put his stuff back in his room and then relax for a while. I’ll take him for now.”
“Yes, sir,” the Pikeman said before dutifully marching off.
“Well, let’s head down, kid,” Slize said.
“Yes, Colonel,” Rewjeo replied.
“You don’t have to call me “Colonel,” you know. You’re not in the army, kid,” Slize said as they left the barracks.
“What should I call you then?” Rewjeo asked.
“Just ‘Slize,’ kid.”
“You sure? The way you call me ‘kid’ I’d have thought you wanted me to call you ‘dad.’”
Slize laughed. “You’ve got a sense of humor, kid. I like that. But there’s no way I could be your dad. Brother, maybe, but not your dad.”
Rewjeo smiled. “All right then, Slize.”
~~~~~
Rewjeo realized as the two approached the door to the bath that he had never been in the room before. He realized when the door opened that he had never even seen a room like it in the castle. It was ground level and on the corner of the castle, with small slits high up on the wall to let light in. The room itself had a moderately sized depression in the center, maybe three feet deep, filled with water.
“It’s a little big, don’t you think?” Rewjeo said as he looked around.
“I’m flattered, kid,” Slize said, “but I’m afraid it’s not just gonna be us two in here.”
Rewjeo turned, confused as to what Slize was talking about, to see the colonel standing there stark naked. Rewjeo immediately whipped back around to face the opposite wall. Rewjeo stammered some, trying to find words, and nothing came out.
Slize laughed. “No reason to be shy. I take it they’re a little more prudish back in Ilyarium, eh, kid?”
“Not prudish,” Rewjeo said deliberately. “Just… private.”
“Well, you’d better get used to it if you’re going to be staying with the army, kid. Go on, turn around,” Slize said. Rewjeo did so reluctantly. Slize stood there, feet splayed, hands resting proudly on his bare hips, smirking with his teeth showing. “Pretty impressive, eh? Like I said, not your dad, kid.”
Rewjeo swallowed deeply. “Yeah,” he said awkwardly.
There was a silence as Slize stood there proudly bearing his manhood and Rewjeo’s eyes sheepishly wandered around the room. After what Rewjeo thought was far too long and Slize thought was just long enough for the situation to stop being amusing, Slize broke the silence. “Well, if you ever want to get cleaned off, you’d better take your clothes off. I mean, you don’t have anything to get changed into if those get wet.” Rewjeo stood there uncomfortably for a moment. “Hey, if you’re grown up about it then we’re all adults here.”
Eventually Rewjeo sighed and started stripping down. Slize, meanwhile, grabbed a bucket and started rinsing himself off. Rewjeo started to do the same. Slize looked over. “You might need something to scrub yourself with, kid. The cloths are over there on the shelf.”
“All right,” Rewjeo said, still avoiding eye contact with Slize.
Slize glanced over at Rewjeo and gave a little “huh.” Rewjeo finally did make eye contact, the look on his face a mixture of annoyance and dread. “So, what, you’re going with the rich-kid-who-doesn’t-have-to-work look?”
“What?” Rewjeo asked a little indignantly.
“Oh, that’s nice!” Slize said as he slipped into the warm pool of water in the middle. Then he continued his line of thought. “For getting girls, I mean. I’m not judging you, or anything. Do what works for you. But if you want any tips on-”
“I really hadn’t given it that much thought,” Rewjeo said sheepishly.
“Oh, really?” Slize said as he lounged in the water. “Huh. It made sense – I mean, anyone who would just go on a trip this far must have the money to back it up. You’ve got the right kind of face for it, too.”
“Didn’t you say we weren’t going to be the only two in here?” Rewjeo said, also slipping into the pool in the corner farthest from Slize.
“Yeah, the other colonels should be here soon,” Slize said dismissively. “Anyways, I figured it was intentional. It must be working, right?”
“Isn’t there anything else to be talking about?” Rewjeo asked uncomfortably. “I’ve still got some questions about what’s happened in-”
Slize stood up with a laugh. “I never took you for the shy, type, kid! I mean, I know I take good care of myself, but you’re not so bad yourself!” he said as he waded over to Rewjeo. “But, hey, if I’ve inspired you in any way, well, you’re staying with the army, I’m sure you could pick up some swordplay or something while you’re here. Hey, if I’ve got the time I’ll teach you myself, kid!” he went on as he sat himself down next to Rewjeo and wrapped one arm around Rewjeo’s shoulders.
“I don’t know what you’re saying,” Rewjeo said after a momentary fluster.
Slize laughed and gave Rewjeo a playful punch to the arm. “Haha, I knew you weren’t as shy as you let on, kid! But no, I actually just meant I’d teach you how to swing a sword. Although, if you’ve gotten any questions about that…”
“No, I- I didn’t-” Rewjeo stammered, his whole face bright red. “I just – can we talk about something else?”
“All right,” Slize said as he leaned more heavily and Rewjeo and let his free hand rest on Rewjeo’s knee. “What do you propose we talk about, kid?”
“How about what happened in Lofur?” Rewjeo said, folding his legs.
“Oh,” Slize said, slumping. “Well that’s boring. The old king got sick, his son disappeared, and then the king died. With the help of the general, the princess put herself on the throne. Not everyone was too happy about it, but we’ll see how that all turns out when news of this reaches them.”
“Is that all you know?” Rewjeo said.
“’Fraid so, kid,” Slize said. The two sat in silence for a moment. Slize tussled Rewjeo’s hair a little bit with the hand of the arm resting across Rewjeo’s shoulders. “I’d like to meet her,” he eventually said. “She’s not your regular princess from what I’ve heard. Hell, there are rumors she got rid of her brother.”
“You lied,” Rewjeo said, unhappily enduring the encounter. “You know more than you said you did.”
“Eh, probably,” Slize said dismissively. “Where are the other two? The General wants us to meet with him over dinner tonight. They’d better hurry if they want a chance to wash off…”
“Well, I’m all clean now,” Rewjeo said, starting to lift himself out of the bath, “so I think I’m going to head out now.”
“No you’re not,” Slize said, suddenly forceful, his arm pushing down on Rewjeo’s shoulders. “Believe it or not, kid, I brought you down here to keep those two off of talking strategy. It doesn’t do me any good if you’re already gone before they show up.”
As if on cue, the door started to open. “Well then what was with all of that?” Rewjeo whispered.
“I was trying to get you to open up a little, kid,” Slize whispered back quickly. “Hello!” he called to the two men entering. “The water’s lovely!”
Rewjeo whispered back, hardly moving his lips, “You could’ve tried giving me space instead.”
“What, trying to be the first to snag the foreigner?” one of the colonels said, noticing Slize and Rewjeo’s position.
“Oh, no,” Slize said fervently. “I’m just being friendly.” Then he whispered back to answer Rewjeo. “I tried that, remember?” he said, shifting himself even closer to Rewjeo, his forearm now dangling over Rewjeo’s chest.
“Uh-huh, we’ve heard that one before,” the other colonel, this one with a gruffer voice, said knowingly to his companion.
“Well, now you’re just doing this out of spite, aren’t you?” Rewjeo whispered, eyes set intently dead ahead to avoid seeing anything he didn’t want to.
“Yup,” Slize said, stroking a finger across Rewjeo’s chest mockingly. Then he turned back over to the colonels. “Yeah, you have, and I’ve never been more than friendly when I said it.”
“Oh sure,” said the first of the other colonels. “As friendly as you can get.”
Slize sighed. “He’s a historian and I brought him here to go over some more recent events. He says they don’t have anything on the last war back in Ilyarium, and of course he knows next to nothing of the situation in Lofur.”
“No, it makes sense you’d swing that way out here,” the lighter voiced colonel went on. “You know, what with the Gassadians all being locked up for now. Not to mention you wouldn’t want anything to come of your… recreation during an occupation.”
Rewjeo shifted around uncomfortably. Slize pushed down harder still to remind him that he wasn’t going anywhere until Slize wanted him to.
The gruff voiced one, now in the water, jumped in before Slize could respond. “So where do we start on the history?” He was clearly tired of the innuendo. From what Rewjeo could see out of the corner of his eye, he was a burly man. Bear-like. He was well built, as you’d expect a dedicated military man to be, and, unlike Slize, he looked his age.
“Oh, come on,” the other one said, getting in. “It’s not like the boy couldn’t do worse than Slize.” This one looked his age, too, and there was something about him that reminded Rewjeo of a buck.
“I hate to burst your twelve-year-old-girl bubble,” Bear said, “but I really don’t think Slize would’ve invited us to a rendezvous with his boyfriend.”
“Can we just get to the war?” Rewjeo said, his face the visage of anguish.
“Oh, I suspect we’re going to be on war for a while,” Buck said dramatically. “But sure, why bother with any distractions from conflict?”
“I don’t know what the General sees in either of you,” Bear said disdainfully. “Anyways, tell me where to start and I’ll run you through the basics. Er, what’s your name again?”
“Kygao. Should I use sir with you two?” Rewjeo replied.
“Well you’d better use it with me,” Buck said conceitedly.
Bear looked at Buck reproachfully. “I don’t care in private. Around others it would probably be best if you called me ‘sir’ or ‘colonel.’”
“Yes, sir and... not sir,” Rewjeo said, blinking. “I suppose you should just start at the beginning and run through what happened that made the General the hero he apparently is today.”
“All right. I’m afraid this going to have to be brief. We got held up earlier, and we’re all going to be eating with the General this evening,” Bear said, “including the young historian.”
“Well if it needs to be brief,” Buck cut in, “it had better not be you talking.”
“Excuse me,” Bear said coolly, “but I’m the only one who was there for it. Besides, he’s a historian. He’ll want the details.”
“How long did we have before you two came down here?” Slize asked.
“Hard to say. It depends on what the cooks were up to,” Buck said, his eyes locked with Bear. “But it could be as little as a half hour,” he said deliberately, “for all we know. We wouldn’t want to be late for the General on our first day here.”
“Well, you know,” Rewjeo said, interjecting, “if that’s the case, maybe it would just be best if we got out now. I mean, I get the feeling the General isn’t the kind of guy you want to disappoint. Sir,” Rewjeo added uncertainly.
Slize finally lifted his arm off of Rewjeo’s shoulders. “Yeah, I’m getting pruney,” he said, looking at his fingers. “You guys can hang out and argue if you want, but I’m heading out, too.”
“But what about the war?” Bear asked.
“I’ll be here for a while,” Rewjeo said, quickly wrapping himself in a towel. “I’ll hear about it later.”

No comments:

Post a Comment